Web Developer, Technical Lead, Technologist
I am an experienced senior web developer bringing deep technical knowledge and leadership to the teams I work with. My understanding of the languages, tools, libraries, frameworks and applications of the web - and my insights into process, architecture and best practices help deliver the end product to the user.
My skills and experience
Web programming languages and technologies
- Node.js for building web services and server-side applications
- PHP and MySQL for server-side application development
- HTML and SASS/CSS for document markup and presentation
- Small bits of Ruby for process scripts
- ActionScript and Flash (back in the day)
Libraries, frameworks and APIs
- Node.js and the world of npm for developing networked web applications and developer tooling.
- d3.js, Mapbox, Tableau data visualisation tools
- PHP, Drupal and Wordpress - custom module and theme development
- BDD and Unit test driven development using Mocha, Chai, Sinon, Tape, Cucumber, Webdriver.io.
- APIs: Twitter, Facebook, Google+, Google Maps, YouTube, Urban Airship, Vimeo…
Infrastructure and DevOps
- Linux web server config and management (Ubuntu, CentOS, RHEL)
- Sever provisioning with Ansible and shell scripts
- Deployment management using Jenkins, git hooks, beanstalkapp.com and deploybot.com
- Set up and integration with cloud services - AWS, Rackspace, Linode, DigitalOcean
- npm scripts, Webpack, Browserify, Grunt and Gulp for build tools
- Docker Containers and Vagrant for development environments
- Version control and code repositories with Subversion and Git
- Issue tracking and Project Management with GitHub, Sifter, Pivotal Tracker and Atlassian (Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket)
Architecture, people, principles and processes
- Defining technical approaches and technical architecture for projects
- Working with with Agile & SCRUM led teams
- Client consultation and liaison
- Project management, budgets, planning and scheduling
- Technical delivery and studio resource management
- Team leadership and mentoring
- Concept, strategy and idea generation
- Technical deliverables: Requirements and Functional Specs
- IA deliverables: Site Maps, Wireframes and Concept Models
- Research and user testing
Community and Open Source
- I am an organiser of London Node User Group (LNUG) monthly meetups
- I join the hackers at Nodebots London whenever possible for their monthly hack days to build and make things
- interesting potential projects are always being talked about and in the pipeline…
Always learning more.
I graduated as an environmental and geographical scientist in 1995, and I continue to visualise interactive systems as spatial entities for human interaction. The continually evolving and emergent relationships between people, culture, location and technology are what got me excited about digital media in the first place, and still today I am not disappointed.
Over the years I have extended myself to interaction design, information architecture, education, game design, business strategy and project management, but at the core has always been the mechanics of web technologies: code, data and people. I love the web: to a technologist like me it is a giant puzzle and playground. And as a platform for people, ideas and culture, it is my passion.
I find inspiration in the diversity of people around me and London has always been great for that. Now as dad to two great smart kids, I love the games, toys, play and adventures we have around town.
For more information and samples of my work please visit my website: www.admataz.com.
Always learning more.